Friday, August 7, 2009

The Thought Process of a Three-Year-Old


We have two cats. One of them, Buddy-Cakes, has been with me for almost 15 years. I adopted him and his brother Bart from The Humane Society. They were littermates and inseparable. Buddy was the laid bak one and Bart the Fussy one. Two years ago, during preplanning, my sweet Bart died in my arms. I was shocked by the depth of my grief. About four months later, I got a little six-week-old kitten that looked like Bart for Isabel's second birthday. She named her Lulu.

She is a beast. The cat, that is... not Isabel. After so many years I had forgotten about the kitten stage. You know, the "I-am-the-center-of-the-universe stage. Fortunately, she has mellowed out and settled into the start of her adult cat life.

Buddy, on the other hand, is getting old. Lately, his age has become more and more evident. He has lost a LOT of weight. (Only 5 lbs now). He moves slowly. He has lost a lot of body mass and his bones are sticking out. I know his time is drawing to a close and I am appreciating each moment with him.

Isabel has been very good about understanding this. We talk about how being old changes the way we can move. I have explained that Buddy moves slowly because his bones are old. She seems to grasp this concept.... which made this morning's comment all the more fascinating...and entertaining.

We were on the way to school this morning when we saw that the railroad crossing was down a train was moving VERY slowly across the intersection. As I pointed it out to Isabel, she said:

"Mom, that train must have old bones."

I had no idea what she was talking about. She repeated herself and than (as if to clarify it for me) continued with:

"It's moving slow like Buddy-Cakes."

I just LOVE getting glimpses into how her mind works.

So logical.

So simple.

So refreshing.

No comments: